Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dog Food

I'm being so good, I sat without being told.  
But I know that stuff is for me!
My mom is convinced that since I'm a carnivore (have you seen my big teeth?), that I ought to be eating meat mostly and not cereal and soy.  She also got convinced that I ought to be eating raw meat because that's what my ancestors ate all the time.  We're dogs!  We don't have opposable thumbs and we can't start a fire.  Besides, I think raw meat is delicious!  She says cooking meat denatures the proteins and destroys a lot of vitamins.  My body temperature is warmer than humans so I am protected from more pathogens than humans. I have a really short digestive system so I can't really digest grains and a lot of vegetable matter very well.  Heck, the humans can't digest the grains without a lot of processing to make them edible, so why should they be good for we canines?


She started giveing me raw meat a month after she adopted me when I was 6 1/2 months old.  I loved it but then I had a lot of diarrhea, a few times in the house.  She didn't punish me for it but I could tell she didn't like it at all.  I got all confused about where to poop.  This was new place so I didn't know what the rules were. So then she did remedial house training.  I've been perfect ever since and mom is happy.


She talked to her favorite pet store, Central Dawgma, who has people with a lot of experience feeding raw (I got to go too).  They said young dogs like me sometimes get sick on raw until we get older.  Especially since we don't know what I was eating before but it was probably just junky, cheap grocery store puppy chow.  I was in rescue because my first family only fed me, got me my shots, and little else.  So she got this really good puppy chow made out of human grade food and no grains for me.  When I got to 9 months old, she tried raw again   And I was ok with it.  I really like getting real meat and I'm doing really well on it.  


A couple of weeks ago, I caught a little rabbit all by myself. Mom came out and called for me.but I didn't come right away, because, you know, I was really busy.  She called again so I knew I had to go.  I had the rabbit in my mouth and she saw me.  I sent out the message as best I could asking her if I could keep it.  She laughed and said I could!  It was so yummy!  I messed about with some mice before that the cat had caught so I think I must have learned how from him.  It was really fun.


Here's my veggie mix and what goes in it
I got tired of waiting. Wanna play ball?
Please?
Here's what my mom feeds me:
Usually a chicken quarter with skin and bones intact.  As long as it is raw, the bones don't splinter.  I just chew them up.  Sometimes I get some beef chuck or pork necks.  I get some organ meats too.  I'm kind of fussy about them and mom has refused to give me anything else until I eat them.  Nobody has ever heard of a dog who doesn't like liver, but that's me.


Every couple of days or so, I get an egg, shell and all, dropped in my dish.  I eat the whole thing, including the shell.


Mom makes up a vegetable mix to make sure I get all the nutrition I need.  I get this several times a week but not every day.  This is enuf for 3 or 4 days
3 cans of pumpkin and sweet potato with no additives.  Mom like to get organic
3-4 T Salmon oil to make sure I get omega 3 fatty acids
3-4 T Aunt Jeni's Enhance Vitamin & Mineral Herbal Blend for Pets
1/2 c. yogurt or kefir


Yummy.  I'm helping with the dishes.
What?  They go into the dishwasher after I'm done

Slurp.  I like my veggies!
She tried to give me some greens but I just pooped those out without digesting them at all.  I love this stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment