Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Introduction

Hello world.  I am Miss Dirona, a young dog.  I think I am an old farm collie of the smooth coat variety.  I came from a breeder according to my original vet records but I don't know who so my origins are a bit of a mystery.  I do know my birthday was 3/25/2010.  I am not an AKC collie as it is obvious that I have none of that Borzoi they bred into the regular collies but I am so much a collie.  

The old farm collies were bred in northern England and Scotland to be the perfect farm dog - smart, resourceful, sweet, protective of the animals and humans plus they took care of vermin around the farm.  They were the precursors to the AKC collies, Border collies, Australian Shepherds, and English Shepherds.  About a 100 years ago, they were the most common farm dog in both the UK and USA.
My smooth coat is the perfect coat.  It has a dense undercoat that keeps me dry and warm in winter with nice guard hairs that shed water for me, I don't shed much, and best of all, I can go swimming, roll in the dirt, and by the time I am dry again, I'm completely clean!  My mom loves that.  I don't smell much either.  But I have a great nose!
I've been learning all manner of things my mom wants me to do.  I sit and wait patiently for my yummy dinners until mom says I can eat, even if it is several minutes and sitting right on the floor!  I'm learning to heel pretty well, at least at home.  I down, roll over, crawl, stand, wait, stay, and spin in circles.  Roll over and spin are especially fun!  
My mom and I play fetch a lot.  It is so much fun.  She makes me do my tricks for a ball throw but I love it so much, I'll do anything if she will throw the ball for me!  I've also learned to find my ball or toy when she asks and I'm starting to learn to find the cat.  I learned to pick up trash for her and drop it near her feet.  
I still get soooo distracted when we go to other places tho and that makes my mom frustrated.  I want to explore and greet and she keeps stopping and turning around because I blow her off half the time.  Oops!
I love my cat buddies too and most other dogs.  Dogs are such fun to play with.  One of my cats is fun to play with but the other one is pretty cranky.  I never hurt them.
Racing after a Frisbee is the best!

I love my Jolly Ball.  I picked it out myself at the pet store.

Frisbees are fun!

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to make your aquaintance, Miss Dirona! Stumpy and I will enjoy your adventures.

    Tell your mom not to worry about your distracted behavior. You're still a puppy! At 5 years old, Stumpy, just now seems to be acting more like a grown up(85% of the time!)

    Happy, Waggin' Tails, FUREVER!
    Stumpy and me

    ReplyDelete