Wednesday, July 20, 2011

I've been a very bad dog

Mom is not happy with me.  At her mother's house, I attacked the little dog when mom had my food and scared her good.  Now, I attacked my buddy Pete at her sister's house over a rawhide bone.  I nipped him right near the eye and he was bleeding a little.  I was trying to be good since mom's sister told her to grab my mouth and hold it shut while telling me no when I curled my lip at him.  I wanted the bone so badly!  I just lost control and went for him in a serious barking attack.  He backed off, but I didn't get the bone at all and got put in the kennel all by myself most of the day while they cleaned up Pete and let him inside.


The next day, I had to get into my dog aunt's car and lie down.  We went to the pet store and they fitted me with a muzzle.  At least I got some treats.  The sister also got a chain collar and put it on me.  Then showed my mom how to make me respect it to heel and listen instead of blowing my mom off.   Then we did the bone stuff again.  Pete was given the bone and I was severely scolded for lifting my lip when I tried to get him to give it up.  I couldn't go after him again because of the muzzle.  Pete's a little leary of me and wouldn't go to the bone until his mom called him over to it.  After a couple of corrections, Pete chewed on it for a while then left it.  I went over to it and figured out I could chew it with my front teeth with the muzzle on.  They didn't correct me when I went to the bone after Pete left it.  For a while, Pete and I dog wrestled and it was fun.  Pete seems to be a smart dog and isn't easily intimidated.  I only meant the attack to be for the bone.  I still love to play and hang out with Pete.

This morning, mom took me out to heel with the chain collar and I did really well with the heel.  I only pulled on the leash once and didn't make a turn a couple of times.  The rest of the walk, the leash and collar were loose.  I was a little slow on sit when we stopped but once I did it perfectly and she gave me several treats in a row for that!  Mom says I respect the collar because when she just used the regular collar I pulled on the leash (up to my old tricks).

Mom's sister used to breed and show dogs a lot and she always won the obedience trials.  Mom says her dogs were always very happy dogs and Pete sure is but he is better behaved than me.  Mom says she doesn't want a dog she can't trust even tho the only thing I've ever attacked is other dogs.  I let any human take my food right out of my mouth with nary a protest.  Mom is thinking that maybe it is time to up the ante on me and use firmer corrections than she has been but with the careful restraint her sister uses.

It's been really hot here in Colorado.  In the 90s and sometimes tops at 100.  At least it isn't as humid as at home but it is really hot.  Mom would like to retreat into the mountains where it is cooler but she thinks she needs to to try to stop my resource guarding more than finding cool.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the other dogs weren't hurt!

    Stumpy is pretty protective over her toys and food. Once you know that, it's easy to work around.

    Cyndi & Stumpy @ RVly Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dirona is only resource guarding (attacking) food and bones. She happily shares her toys and person with other dogs. She even shares treats with other dogs with no problem.

    I really want to get her to relax and follow the dog etiquette rules that would be enforced were she in a pack. Dogs should wait for the other dog to release the valued item before stealing it. If another dog approaches her food, she should first give a warning growl, not launch into a mean attack with no warning. I owe it to her and me to do everything I can to stop this over the top behavior.

    ReplyDelete