Sunday, July 24, 2011

Racing like the Wind!

Dirona running behind the truck
This morning was so much fun!  It started out with mom putting us into the truck so we can go to the land.  She didn't even put a leash on me and I sat at the gate and stayed right with her like I'm supposed to.  She had to keep calling Pete back so he didn't run off.  Pete figures if no one tells him to stay or heel first then he is free to run off and play.  He's good about coming back but it scares the humans because he darts into the road.

Really big stick is fun!

Dirona & Pete with stick
When we got to the land, I got a really big stick with roots on one end and raced around with it.  I love the big sticks because I'm big and strong.  I kept trying to get mom to throw it for me but she told me to keep away with it.  Then mom helped her BIL with the pumpkin watering and fertilizing and Pete and I wandered off.  I decided to to see the barn we were at yesterday but Pete went back to the humans.  I heard mom call several times so I raced back and she told me I was good for coming when called.  It took a little while to get back because it is a good 1/4 mile from the pumpkins.

Dirona & Pete

Pete racing off
Then we raced with the pickup around the land in about a half mile loop.  I learned that a honking horn means I should get out of the way of the truck.  Pete and I ran along side or out 20-30 feet from it.  On the second loop for about a 1/4 mile, I ran with the truck and mom said I was running at 25mph!  She didn't know I was such a good runner.  Pete can run that fast but only for short distances.  We were slower on the 3rd loop.  I've never had so much room to run before without being on a leash or rope.

Last night they put the muzzle on me again.  I hate that thing.  They brought out 2 bones again.  After a while, Pete chewed one and I chewed another.  Then Pete left his bone lying there so I got up and took it and brought it back to where I had my bone.  I know, I'm greedy.  But ya know, I'm a dog!

In a little while Pete came over and looked like he was interested in the other bone and the people were clear across the yard.  Pete didn't try to take the other bone but I could see he wanted to.  So I curled my lip at him.  Mom saw me do it and she scolded me and grabbed my muzzle and held it while telling me no no.  I didn't do it again and Pete was given the other bone.  The people think I am understanding the rules and just need more practice to exercise the self-control I'm supposed to.

Pete did the spin!  And he's doing the roll-over right with a lot of encouragement.  Soon, he will be as good as I am.  Pete is a more agile dog than I am, but I can run and run and I can catch things.

Tomorrow, I am 16 months old!

No comments:

Post a Comment